You should know about the minimum requirements. The minimum Requirements required by the state of Georgia: Minimum age of 18, Valid Georgia driver’s license, Ability to pass DOT physical, drug screen, and alcohol test. In addition to Georgia requirements, Daly’s prefers a clean criminal background, and solid employment history, but each applicant is reviewed on an individual basis. Also, you must be able to read and speak English well enough to read road signs, prepare reports, and communicate with the public and with law enforcement.
The next steps follow this basic format:
1) Permitting: Class A drivers must pass a General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and a Combination test that you will take on a computer at a Department of Drivers Services (DDS) office. Click here to find the DDS office closest to you. Upon successful completion of the test, you will receive a permit which allows you to drive a tractor with an instructor in the the vehicle. Class B drivers must pass a general knowledge and air brakes test. View our pages on Class A and Class B training for more information on “what to expect” in your preparation for obtaining this permit.
2) Training: Although there are plenty of options for getting your commercial driver’s license (CDL), Georgia’s Department of Driver Services has a list of state-approved driving schools for your training, and Daly’s Truck Driving School is licensed and regulated by the Department of Driver Services. The state of Georgia has a minimum amount of time that must be spent both “behind the wheel” and “in the classroom”, and Daly’s far exceeds this requirement.
3) Driving Test: The driving test will consist of 3 parts – pre-trip inspection, backing maneuvers, and actual road maneuvers. The pre-trip inspection, if taken correctly, will take about 45 minutes to an hour. (Click Here for Meet the Truck Video) The yard maneuvers will take about 45 minutes and the road maneuvers take about 30 minutes. If you pass all three parts of the test you will receive a CDL license. The training you receive at Daly’s Truck Driving School will cover this in-depth.
4) Restrictions: Daly’s Truck Driving School trains you and gets you licensed with no restrictions. If you test in an automatic vehicle like a lot of our competitors you will only be able to drive an automatic vehicle which severely restricts your employment options.
5) Endorsements: To be licensed for certain types of commercial vehicles, extra testing is required. If you pass, you will receive an endorsement on your CDL. There are endorsements that you may obtain. Each separate endorsement requires written tests. The passenger endorsement requires you to test in a bus. The hazardous materials endorsement requires a full background check.
T―Double/Triple Trailers (knowledge test only)
P―Passenger (knowledge and skills tests) N―Tank Vehicle (knowledge test only)
H―Hazardous Materials (knowledge test only
Have more questions? Call us at (770) 614-6022, or contact us today! email@example.com
By filling out the pre-application, you will be well on your way to a rewarding and secure career. Our Admissions Specialists will contact you asap. The demand for truck drivers is at an all time high, and this trend is expected to continue well into the next two decades. In addition, first year drivers usually earn $38,000+ and $50,000+ by year 3.PRE-APPLICATION
2314 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Buford, GA 30518